Ground Wave Prediction System (GWPS 4)
The Ground Wave Prediction System 4 (GWPS 4) is a graphical user interface driven tool for predicting the propagation of radio waves in the MF and HF frequency bands over the surface of the Earth. The program can be used to generate area prediction charts of ground-wave field strength, signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), and frequency range (single and multi-surface) for the user selectable transmitter location and area of interest. Many other two-dimensional plots can be generated.
GWPS 4 is an application designed to run under Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 7 installed on modern personal computers. The program will run under 32- or 64-bit versions of Windows 7. A minimum of 50 Mega Bytes of hard disk space is required to install and run the program.
Latest Version: GWPS Version 4 - released April, 2011
The Ground Wave Prediction System 4 is a GUI-driven tool for predicting the propagation of radio waves in the MF and HF frequency bands over the surface of the Earth.
GWPS 4.0 New Features
- Area prediction charts of ground-wave field strength (dB above 1 mV/m), signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), and frequency range (single and multi-surface) for the user selectable transmitter (Tx) location and area of interest.
- Area prediction results are generated using full multi-surface calculations and a new high spatial resolution (0.02° or 2 km at the equator) table of surface conductivity and dielectric permittivity.
- Up to 500 x 500 grid cells within the user selectable area of interest so that multi-surface area predictions can exploit the full resolution of the new high-resolution land-sea-ice table.
- Implementation of a faster multi-surface algorithm to reduce the calculation time required for large numbers of grid cells.
- New high spatial resolution land mass outlines including islands, reefs, and lakes.
- Export of area prediction results in KMZ file format for importing as an information layer within Google Earth®.
- Area prediction charts of background noise (CCIR or ITU atmospheric noise + made noise + galactic noise).
- Latest ITU-R recommended method for calculating the total noise by combining atmospheric, galactic and man-made noise levels.
- Improved area prediction input dialogue including more user selectable regional geographic maps.
- Moving the cursor throughout the area prediction displays the geodetic coordinates, range, bearing, and parameter value.
- The option to overlay range markers (circles) at preset intervals from the Tx.
- The option to contour and/or smooth the area prediction results.
- All the familiar features of GWPS 3 remain in GWPS 4.
- Revised HTML User Guide.
- Graphical interface for specifying parameters (ground conditions/local noise conditions/transmitting and receiving antenna specifications).
- World map for location selection or easy location lookup.
- Numerical range estimate.
- Electric field strength versus range plots.
- Range versus frequency plots.
- Range versus power plots.
- Range versus time of day plots.
- Frequency versus time of day plots.
- Automatic access to up to date ionospheric data downloaded from the Web.
- Full documentation and user guide.
Please report bugs and installation problems to SWS_gwps@bom.gov.au.
HF prediction software is no longer delivered on CDs or other portable electronic storage media.
Customers will be charged the full cost recovery rate for this additional service.
GWPS Documentation (pdf)